Welcome to Part 6 of the Barn Stars Sew Along!
The Federal Star block is the simplest block in the quilt thus far. It combines the most basic elements and uses just a touch of applique. Watch the video for tips on pressing, trimming, and assembly.
A few tips:
- There are no seams that intersect from unit to unit – which makes for super easy pressing and assembly.
- Following the pressing instructions will give you nesting seams when assembling the rows in the block.
- Remember to place the fabric you are pressing TOWARD facing up. Being consistent helps keep things going as planned.
- When preparing the applique star for fusing, cut out the center of the fusible web, leaving about 1/2″ around the inside of the shape. This will prevent the fusible web from making the block feel stiff.
- Use a blanket stitch or small zig-zag to secure the raw edges of the star to the background square.