This is one of my favorite months of the year. Fall has always felt like a time to start something new and there are so many traditions. School and that fresh box of crayons – love those! That crispness in the air that starts in September evenings, the Minnesota State Fair and Labor Day. I checked the Farmer’s Almanac to see what it had to say about September and found some interesting things…
- Heavy September rains bring drought.
- Married in September’s golden glow, Smooth and serene your life will go.
- If the storms of September clear off warm, the storms of the following winter will be warm.
- Fair on September 1st, fair for the month.
This month’s block is quick to piece but be aware of your seam allowance and pressing. The little pumpkins on the right were giving me fits – wanting to be too long or too short.
- Before you cut the block out, starch your fabric. I use regular spray starch or Best Press.
- An easy way to fix a unit that ends up too long without ripping is to sew a few of the seams just a thread deeper at the top, middle and bottom.
- Be careful when you press to avoid stretching, but be sure those units are pressed flat without tucks. I like to set the seam first to heat up the fabric and embed the thread into the fabric, then fold back, finger press, and then put the iron on the seam. If you use steam, be extra careful and don’t overwork the unit.
The Quilt Block Mania block patterns are free each month.
~Subscribe to our VIP list ~
~Don’t miss out on the next edition of Quilt Block Mania ~
If you make any of the blocks be sure to share them and tag with #QuiltBlockMania!
Be sure to visit all of the Quilt Block Mania Designers!
“Which Hat?” at Pretty Piney
Black Cat at Inquiring Quilter
Ring of Pumpkins at Always Expect Moore
Haunted House at Powered by Quilting
Three Treats at Sew Brainy
Bat at Slice of Pi Quilts
Day of the Dead Skull at Duck Creek Mountain Quilting
Gypsy Wagon Fortune Teller at Orange Blossom Quilt
Monster at Seams to be Sew
Patchwork Pumpkin at Quilted Diary
Stacked Pumpkins at Perkins Dry Goods
Spooky Star at Block of the Mo .com
Leaf Ghost at Off the Wall Quilt
Leaf and Vine at Quilt Moments
Frankenstein at Around the Bobbin
Bat by Heidi Pridemore
Candy Corn by Quilt Fabrication
Dark night by Cotton Street Commons
Pumpkin by Sew on the Go
Pumpkin and Bat by ScrapDash
Pumpkin Chain by Stash Bandit
Happy Jack-o-lantern by Patti’s Patchwork
Foundation Pieced Creepy Eyes by Amarar Creacions
Spooky Trees by Aunt Em’s Quilts
Upside Down Witch by Appliques Quilts and More
Scaredy Kitty by Tacy Gray
Sun-Boo-Net Sue by Blue Bear Quilts
Spider by Oh Kay Quilting
Candy, Pumpkins, and Witch Hat by Utah Quilt Appraiser