Welcome to Part 3 of the Barn Stars Sew Along!
The Corner Star block is made up of basic units that create a simple secondary pattern within the block. Watch the video for tips on pressing, trimming, and assembly.
A few tips:
- Even though the Corner Star block is made of simple units, I encourage you to carefully read the instructions for each part. Use the illustrations in the pattern to position your units before sewing. It’s really easy for the units to get turned around.
- Unit A is not oversized, cut carefully. The 1/8″ cuts for Unit A are REALLY important.
- The block units have lots of bias edges. I strongly suggest that you use sizing or starch BEFORE you cut anything. It will make the fabric more stable and your cutting will be more accurate.
- A note about cutting the Dark fabric – you may only need one strip if your fabric is 42″ wide. I generally assume 40″ of useable width when I write cutting instructions, but there are many times that the fabric is wider. So, cut one strip and see what you can get out of it before cutting a second strip.
- Use the leftover scraps from your previous blocks, especially if you are using the same background fabric throughout the whole quilt.